Egypt Travel Itinerary – Day by Day Travel Plans
This Egypt travel itinerary was put together by The Sharper Traveler and Divas, Passports and Stilettos in combination with Nile Holiday in Egypt. This was an amazing trip and if you are looking for small or large group travel definitely check them out! We were thrilled to provide great imagery through photos and video to them of this trip. Here is our day by day travel plans for what we did while traveling in Egypt.
*Disclaimer: we did NOT plan this trip and want to make sure credit is properly given.
Day 1 traveling to Egypt:
- Leave JFK – an overnight flight with a 6-hour time difference
- Arrive Cairo International Airport (CAI)
- Pick up at Cairo Airport by our Tour Provider
- Check in
- Pyramids Sound & Light show for those going (optional)
Day 2 – Giza Plateau
- Breakfast at your Hotel, start your Egypt and the Nile tour at the Giza Plateau. Site of the pyramids of Cheops, Chefren and Mycerinus, built in the fourth dynasty (approx. 2550 BC), it is the only survivor of the seven wonders of the ancient world.
- Explore the interior of one of these legendary pyramids and ride like a local on camel back (optional)
- Visit the Solar Boat Museum, site of King Cheops funerary boat and see the great Sphinx.
- After lunch at a local restaurant, enjoy your afternoon at leisure.
- Optional – Quad Bike Tour:
- At night, gather for a welcome dinner hosted by Nile Holiday
Day 3 – Luxor, Egypt travel
- 4:30 am – Fly Cairo to Luxor / East Bank of the Nile tour (4:30 am, transfer to Cairo airport leave at 7:35)
- Arrive at Luxor airport at 08:45am
- Begin your day of exploring Luxor with a trip to the Temple of Karnak
- Continue to visit Luxor temple
- Transfer to your Nile Cruise.
- 6:30pm – Pick up transport arrives – attend Karnak Sound & Light show (optional)
Day 4 – Luxor / West Bank of the Nile tour
- Early Morning you will enjoy a hot air balloon Journey over the Valley of the Kings (optional)
- Visit the Valley of the Kings, used as a burial ground for a period of 500 years including that of the boy king Tutankhamen.
- Later, stop at the Temple of Hatshepsut, ancient Egypt’s first female. Also, enjoy a photo stop at the Colossi of Memnon. Back to your Nile Cruise at Lunch time and set sail to Edfu via Esna
Day 5 – The Nile Tour / Edfu & Kom Ombo
- Breakfast and then start to visit the Temple of Horus at Edfu, dedicated to the falcon-headed god of the sky
- Back to your Nile Cruise and start sailing to Kom-ombo
- On arrival, disembark at Kom Ombo (mound of gold) to visit the Greco-Roman temple – dedicated to Haroeris (the sun god) and Sobek (the crocodile god), considered the creator of the world by some ancient Egyptians. Whilst here, view the mummified remains of several persons
- Back to your Cruise and sail to Aswan.
Day 6 in Egypt
- 4:30 am (Egypt time) begin explorations of:
Abu Simbel / Temples of Ramses II & Nefertari (optional but no extra fee). You will drive for almost 3 hours to discover Abu Simbel Temple, the commanding twin temples of Ramses II and his wife, Queen Nefertari.
- After Lunch on board, enjoy Egypt and the Nile tour with felucca “Sailing boat” ride around Elephantine islands (weather permitting!)
- Aswan Botanical Garden & Nubian Village (optional)
Day 7 – Check out of Nile Cruise
- Visit to the impressive granite quarry and site of the unfinished obelisk.
- Proceed with a motor boat ride to Philae Temple on the Island of Agilika. This sacred complex dedicated to the Goddess Isis and reflects a fusion of three great civilizations, Egyptian, Greek and Roman.
- In the late afternoon fly back to Cairo
- Check into Cairo Hotel
Day 8 – The best of Egypt & Bustling Khan el Khalili Bazaar
- Breakfast at your hotel, and then start to visit the Egyptian Museum of Antiquities, home to the largest collection of ancient Egyptian artifacts. And explore the Mosque and Madrasa of Sultan Hassan
- Next, walk from the twin-towered Bab al-Futuh a fortified gate in Cairo’s Old City walls to Khan el-Khalili, one of the city’s major souks (open-air marketplaces). Browse the tightly packed stalls displaying everything from spices and leather goods to jewelry and vegetables. All on a street that has hardly changed for centuries. Bargaining is expected, so prepare to negotiate.
- Then, return to your hotel for an evening at leisure.
Day 9 – Cairo / Ancient Treasures
- After breakfast, drive to Memphis, capital of the old kingdom of ancient Egypt and now home to an open-air museum and a giant statue of Ramses II.
- Continue to Sakkara Necropolis, site of hundreds of tombs and 14 pyramids, including the Step Pyramid of King Djoser
- In the evening, gather with your fellow guests to reflect on your journey through Egypt and the Nile tour at a farewell dinner on a Nile Cruise
Day 10 – Travel from Egypt to home
- Check out
- Transfer to airport
- Fly back to NY
Trip Duration: 10 Days
Airline: Egypt Air
Number of people on trip: 8
What to Bring
- Light weight and light color clothes (helpful with the heat)
- When visiting the Mosque, women should have their shoulders and knees covered. Long flowy pants and a t-shirt is perfect
- Scarf – good to keep dust off your face, sun off your neck and to cover your head for the mosque
- Bug spray. If bugs are attracted to you, bring it!
- A hat
- Shoes that are comfy and you don’t mind getting dusty
- Washcloth- had to keep asking for them
- Basic medicine
- Adapter so you can plug in and charge!
- Leave plenty of room to bring back some cool gifts for yourself and others. Insider Tip- we got some AMAZING oils and AMAZING spices!
Have you ever traveled to Egypt? We would love to hear about your Egypt travel itinerary and what you did for day by day travel plans! Leave a comment below to join the conversation.